The Tour de France 2023 starts in Bilbao, Spain’s Basque country, on Saturday, 1 July, and finishes in Paris on Sunda,y 23 July.
This 110th edition will have no less than 21 stages, 3,404 kilometres and a total of 5,100 metres of climbing and pass through many well-known towns, such as Bayonne, Bordeaux, Limoges, Clermont-Ferrand, Annemasse and Poligny.
A whopping 520 kilometres of the 2023 tour will take place in the French Alps. The riders will spend five days amongst the summits… that’s four stages plus a rest day. And while some stages will be pretty familiar to riders and spectators, the 2023 Tour de France will also visit some new areas, such as Les Gets and Combloux.
Why not combine your passion for this grand race and your holidays in the Alps, by coming to see the Tour de France in the mountains? This article will reveal the best places to see and encourage the riders and all about the gruelling mountain stages.
Watch the 14th stage of the Tour de France
From Samoëns to Morzine
Date: Saturday, 15 July 2023
Route: Annemasse to Morzine
The 14th stage of the Tour de France is the first race in the Alps. It’s a short warm-up, with 152 kilometres and 4,200 metres of accumulated ascent to cover. This is the 31st edition of this event, with Morzine as a stage town for the 22nd time.
The Col du Feu, at kilometre 53, is one of the new features of the 2023 Tour de France. At an altitude of 1,117 metres, the climbers will reach the summit after 5.8 kilometres at an average gradient of 7.8%.
It is 40 minutes from Morzine and 50 minutes from Samoens by car. Cyclists will enter Samoens territory for 6.5 kilometres before tackling the ascent of the mythical Col de Joux Plane, 20 minutes from Samoens. Make sure you take into account the road closure.
The riders will finish this first Alpine stage in Morzine, so if you’re in the resort, you’ll be able to see the leading cyclists’ sprint finish.
Rest and recharge your batteries
Chalet Pativerdan is the ideal place to stay in Samoëns. With room for 10 guests, its somewhat isolated location allows you to make the most of the natural environment!
Relax in the hot tub on the terrace at the end of a day of spectating where you’ll have a breathtaking view of the mountains.
The chalet also has a superb games room, which is the perfect hangout for younger guests. The centre of Samoëns has a good choice of shops, bars and restaurants.
Stay in a chalet in Samoëns
Places to eat
You’ll need a good meal after waiting at the side of the road for the peloton! Here are some restaurants where you are sure to eat well:
- La Table de Fifine: a restaurant with an excellent and varied menu, in an equally pleasant atmosphere! The welcome is warm and the service is attentive. Quality products are on offer, cooked by a dynamic team.
- L’Estanco: a popular restaurant with contemporary decor. You can enjoy well-prepared French cuisine and for the complete experience, why not sit out on the superb terrace?
Where to relax
Book one of our partner chalets to make the most of your stay in Morzine. Chalet Bellanis, for example, is perfect for those looking for an active holiday.
Close to the sports complex, this chalet is also part of the multipass programme, which means you can enjoy activities at a reduced price. Plus, there are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby.
More chalets in Morzine
Where to eat
Here are some restaurants not to be missed in Morzine:
- Les Prodains: This traditional restaurant offers gourmet cuisine, created by a father and son team. Both passionate about their work, they pool their talent to take you on a culinary journey. Like the setting, the menu has touches of the traditional and the modern.
- L’Atelier: This is a good choice if you’re looking for something a bit different. The chef offers dishes based on seasonal produce and the menu changes every day, so you’ll enjoy a delicious surprise in a beautiful setting.
Cheer on the cyclists in the 15th stage
From Les Gets or La Clusaz
Date: Sunday, 16 July
Route: From Les Gets to Saint Gervais Mont-Blanc
The Tour de France in the mountains continues!
The cyclists will start the 180 km 15th stage in the resort of Les Gets with a total of 4,300 metres of positive altitude difference. This is your chance to see the riders while they are still relatively fresh, and before they head off.
This long stage of the Tour de France passes through some of the Alps’ most beautiful destinations. As it passes through Annecy-le-Vieux, why not make the most of this occasion to discover this beautiful lakeside city at the foot of the mountains?
Cyclists will also take the Talloires-Montmin route via the Col de la Croix Fry, at an altitude of 1,460 metres. After that, you can join them at La Clusaz as they climb the Col des Aravis, at 1,487 metres.
Megève is also a feature of this stage, before the final finish in Saint-Gervais Mont-Blanc. The 2023 Tour marks the fourth time it has been chosen as a stage town.
Enjoy a great stay for the Tour de France 2023
If you want to see the cyclists on the 15th stage, you’ll need somewhere to stay. Chalet Joux Verte is the perfect choice for a great holiday in Les Gets.
Set at the foot of the cycling tracks, it’s an ideal location for fans of the Tour de France fans. The chalet also has a cosy TV room where you can follow the rest of the race in comfort!
Enjoy a good meal
Need a good meal and a well-deserved rest? Here are two restaurants we recommend in Les Gets:
- L’As des neiges: Award-winning chefs will prepare your meal at this beautiful stone and wood chalet.
- Le Bar à vin 1989: Discover great wines with a delicious plate of charcuterie in a wonderful setting. Alternatively, you could just take them back to your chalet!
Where to stay
Chalet Marinaka in La Clusaz is one of our Cool for Kids partner chalets. Fully secured and equipped, it is perfect for families with children. There is also room to store bikes, so if you’re planning on exploring the local cycling routes on your holiday, this one is for you!
After all that exertion, you can relax in the idyllic hot tub on the terrace…
More chalets in La Clusaz
Enjoy a good dinner
Here are two restaurants that we recommend in La Clusaz:
- Pur: a fine dining restaurant that promotes natural food combining simplicity and technicality. So come and rediscover mountain cuisine!
- La Scierie: You’ll get to explore history as well as sample excellent food at this former sawmill. But it’s also a great place for a drink and a bit of a party!
Follow the riders on to the 16th stage
Date: 18 July 2023
Route: from Passy to Combloux
After a well-deserved rest day in the resort of Saint-Gervais Mont-Blanc, the riders are back on the road. This time, it is a much shorter stage against the clock.
The cyclists will leave Passy and cycle 22 kilometres with 650 metres of positive altitude difference to Combloux. This is the only time trial in the 2023 Tour de France, and these two stage towns are new for the 110th edition!
A perfect chalet in the Alps
If you’re looking for great accommodation to enjoy the Tour de France 2023 in the mountains, here are two of our partner chalets in Combloux we think you’d love
- Chalet 1585, which is surrounded by trees, offers you peace and quiet and panoramic views – it’s a return to nature that will do you a world of good. Families with younger children will also love staying here – there’s a playground in the garden, a covered swimming pool and a sauna. It’s the ideal setting for adults to relax and kids to stay entertained! Plus, there are plenty of cycle paths nearby if you fancy getting on your bike!
- Chalet Alpayak is located in the heart of the village of Combloux. A three-storey chalet with wonderful views, this chalet is close to the shops, bars, restaurants and plenty of cycle routes – it’s the perfect combination of activity and relaxation.
Discover our partner chalets in Combloux
Time to eat out
Here are two places where you can enjoy a great meal during your stay in Combloux
- Le Dandy: Fresh produce and great cocktails are served in a friendly atmosphere. It’s a great choice for a good night out with friends or family.
- Le Cellier du Chalet Alpen Valley: Local produce features heavily in the wonderful dishes, which are served up in front of a wonderful view of Mont Blanc!
Completing the visit of the Tour to the Alps
From Saint-Gervais to Megève
Date: 19 July
Route: Saint-Gervais Mont-Blanc to Courchevel
This stage of the Tour de France marks the end of the cyclists’ journey through the Alps. The riders will start this stage from Saint-Gervais Mont-Blanc.
After 166 kilometres and 5,000 metres of accumulated positive altitude difference, they will arrive in Courchevel, which is a stage town for the fourth time.
You’ll be able to spot the biggest names in cycling as they pass through the famous resorts of Megève and Méribel. But first, the riders will have to climb the Cormet de Roselend. At 1,968 metres, it is a climb of almost 20 kilometres with a gradient of 7.6%, but when they arrive at the summit, they will be rewarded with a stunning lake view.
Next, the cyclists will climb the famous Col de la Loze, at an altitude of 2,304 metres – the roof of the Tour de France 2023! It is very demanding, with a 28.4 kilometre climb and an average gradient of 6%.
The stage will end at the Courchevel altiport, so if you want to welcome the riders at the end of their Alpine challenge, that’s where you need to be.
Book your chalet to watch the cyclists
The search for suitable accommodation is not the easiest part of organising a holiday. But we can help you by suggesting a chalet that will meet all your expectations.
Chalet Beau Caillou, in Saint Gervais, is a magnificent chalet in the heart of nature, with remarkable views of the surrounding mountains, including Mont Blanc. Prepare to watch the Tour de France by racing along the mountain roads on the chalet’s doorstep yourself! What’s more, this chalet is “Cool for Kids”, so little ones will love the experience too!
Discover our partner chalets in Saint-Gervais Mont-Blanc
Relax over dinner
Here are some ideas for eating out in Saint-Gervais:
- Les 3 Sérac: with three different dining rooms, Les 3 Sérac is sure to meet your expectations. You can choose between Le Sérac restaurant, Le Bistrot Sérac or Le Sérac Gourmet. The first is the gastronomic restaurant, offering fine cuisine. The menu at the second one is simpler but without compromising on taste. The last one offers a different kind of service, with takeaway meals cooked by the chefs. The choice is yours!
- Pur bar & food: Enjoy great food on a beautiful terrace. The menu offers dishes from around the world, with plenty of choices for vegetarians.
Find a great place to stay
If you want to stay in Megeve, Chalet Crechoua is any cyclist’s paradise. There is even secure storage for your bikes! It’s the ideal accommodation for families, with games in the garden for children and a sauna for parents – a great place to relax after reliving the pressure of the 2023 Tour de France stages.
Stay in a chalet in Megeve
Enjoy a meal out
Here are two wonderful places to enjoy a relaxing meal in Megève:
- Flocons de sel: a Michelin-starred restaurant where the cuisine and the decor are inspired by nature.
- The Roof Top Bar: enjoy a panoramic view while sipping a good drink, accompanied by delicious small dishes.
Practical information on the Tour de France this summer
The roads will be closed the day before each stage of the Tour de France for all mountain events, so you’ll need to plan your arrival in advance.
In previous years, free parking has been provided, but make sure to plan ahead and research your nearest option to avoid missing out. It goes without saying that you should respect the environment and dispose of any litter.
We advise you to leave your vehicle in the resort where you are staying and watch the riders as they pass. That’s why we’ve listed some of the high mountain resorts where you can watch the 2023 Tour de France cyclists.
However, if you’d like to watch them arrive at the passes, plan ahead and find out about road closures. On the day itself, the roads to the passes will be closed until the evening. In these cases, it is normally only possible to reach them on foot or by bike in the morning.
The Waze app
Waze, partner of the Tour de France 2023, will keep you informed of all road closures and calculate your route accordingly. Let it be your guide if you are following the riders!
More practical information will be updated soon on the official website. So stay tuned!
If you are wondering where to go and which stage to watch in the Tour de France 2023, we have suggested some of the most famous mountain resorts and locations. From breathtaking passes to beautiful high mountain resorts, everything is ready for you to enjoy a wonderful summer holiday. Between the cycling and the wonderful scenery, you’re sure to have a great time!
Are you a keen fan of the Tour de France? If so, you might like to read the following articles: