A private petanque court? In a ski resort?
For part 2 of our series on essential extra facilities guests will love, we turn to a perhaps unexpected trend at alpine chalet rentals – the private petanque court.
It is a myth to think that chalets in ski resorts only rent out during the winter. The mountains are magnificent all year round! With unprecedented summer rentals in 2020, good demand for shoulder season short stay bookings, and long term out of season lets, well-priced chalets with great outdoor areas can attract guests virtually all year round.
So, is the addition of a private court a sound investment?
How to build then maintain a private petanque court
- Flat gardens are not a common feature of Alpine chalets, but many properties have narrow strips of flat land that have the potential to be a petanque court. They are perhaps in the shade for most of the day, or an awkward shape, overlooked by neighbours, or at the edge of the parking or property. A private petanque court could transform these otherwise unused outdoor spaces and keep guests of all ages entertained in most weathers.
- Courts don’t have to be regulation size to be match fit! Maximise the space available and cover with small gravel or sand.
- Perhaps add lighting to allow tournaments to run into the evenings? Managers may need to politely remind guests to be respectful of neighbours…
- Add benches or tables and chairs so that spectators and players can enjoy refreshments while waiting for their turn.
- Add raised edges to prevent having to chase petanque balls down the mountain!
- Don’t forget the all important rake, a measure, plus a good quality set of boules or skittles.
What are the benefits of adding a private petanque court for owners and managers?
- Offering extra activities for guests is a good way to distinguish your property from others. Guests may not even realise how much fun is to be had until they rent a chalet with extra facilities.
- Once set up, petanque courts are relatively cheap and easy to maintain and operate.
- Unlike most of the other sports that attract visitors to the Alps, petanque does not require lots of expensive specialist equipment.
- For those interested in the rules of petanque, check out our blog on the subject here Add the rules to the chalet A to Z guide.
Why do guests book properties with private petanque courts?
- The courts can be used for much of the year, even if skies are grey.
- The game does not necessarily call for a high level of skill to be enjoyable.
- Holiday-long tournaments can be great fun; teaching the grandkids or kids how to play petanque is a great opportunity to pass on skills in and knowledge of this French institution.
- Any activity that can get adults and kids into the fresh air and away from screens has to be a good thing!
- Last, but not least, the views from some of the private petanque courts at OVO Network properties are unparalleled.
As of December 2020, twenty of our properties offer private petanque courts. Click here to see how owners of these properties have made the most of the outdoor spaces to attract bookings all year round.
Petanque is a very popular sport throughout France. Click below to view properties which are close to municipal petanque courts.
Find out how much your property could earn by entering details of your property in our rental calculator. The suggested targets are based on the historic earnings of properties with similar features and facilities to your rental project. Click here to access our rental calculator.
For a daily dose of inspiration follow us on Instagram.